Entrepreneurs who Struggle with Guilt and Regret
People who sell a product or service risk a part of themselves every day. They risk self esteem, self confidence their perceived income. This comes at a price for many in sales. It can be empowering to be completely responsible for your level of income. However when things are not going well it can also be terrifying.
Sales people or entrepreneurs who under perform have some emotional consequences along with the obvious financial ones. The most debilitating emotions for many in sales are feelings of guilt and regret. Most of these negative feelings originate in under performing and feeling responsible for under performing. Since you are responsible for your income than of course if income is low you are responsible.
By performing up to your standards you will alleviate guilt and regret. So how do you accomplish that goal? Here are some simple steps that will help:
- Make sure your standards are realistic. People in the field of sales can tend to set very high goals. These goals are not unrealistic for some or in a specific time frame. But for you they might not be correct.
- Once you have a realistic goal, now determine what the obstacles are to completion.
- Write out a plan to move past the obstacles.
- Get feedback and determine what needs to change.
- Move forward and feel the positive feeling that accomplishing a goal gives you.
- Now move on to the next one.
The best way to alleviate feelings of guilt and regret is to accomplish what you set out to do. By taking control of your goals you gain control over negative emotions as well. Take back control and your negative emotions like guilt and regret will be a thing of the past.